The development and implementation of the methods of enhancing complex optimization of the functioning of VKG Energia OÜ Thermal Power Plant and the electrical system, and security of supplyProjects
The aim of the project is to analyse and increase the efficiency of energy consumption, used in production, within the context of increased production volumes at VKG Energia OÜ, to reduce the amount of losses, and to increase reliability, with due consideration of expenses that are required for the purpose of achieving the goal and are economically feasible.
The list of works carried out within the frames of the project:
- The development of the optimization model of load distribution between boilers at the Northern Thermal Power Plant, with the aim to achieve the best possible operating mode of the equipment and maximum steam generation.
- The development of the mathematical optimization model of load distribution between turbine generating units at the Northern Thermal Power Plant, with the aim to achieve more efficient usage of input steam in turbines and the maximum return on electrical power generation.
- The development of the principles of selection of the best possible composition of plant units at the Northern Thermal Power Plant and the solution method.
- Determining functional specifications and control options of the equipment at the Northern Thermal Power Plant.
- The development and implementation of the control system at the Northern Thermal Power Plant, which will allow to determine the best possible composition of production equipment and the best possible operating mode, with due consideration of input parameters, output parameters, and technical restrictions.
- The analysis of the configuration of VKG Energia medium-voltage network and the normal functioning scheme of the electrical system.
- The analysis of network parameters and settings of the electrical network and the Northern Termal Power Plant.
- Calculating the parameters of permanent functioning of VKG electrical system.
- Ascertaining the shortcomings in VKG medium-voltage electrical installation and developing new solutions.
- The development and implementation of the control system of VKG electrical system, which will allow to determine the most efficient operating mode of the electrical system, based on the requirements related to the security of supply.
The system of complex optimization of reliability of the thermal power plant and the electrical system, developed in the result of the research, will allow:
- in case of schedules of district heating and electric loads, pre-determined for the power plant, to determine efficient operating modes for production equipment, according to one or several criteria, for the next day or up to one week;
- in case of pre-determined amounts of fuel (generator and char gas generated from oil plants should be burned down in the boilers of the power plant), to maximize the electric produce at the power plant for the next day or up to one week.
- the minimization of network losses and provision of the required reliability of the electrical network, with due consideration of technical capacity of network equipment.
- searching for the best possible operating points of generators on the basis of pre-determined functional specifications of equipment, network configurations, and set values of network operators.
- providing functional reliability of the entire electrical installation under consideration and, through that, the minimization of costs and an increase in the reliability of equipment.
The economic significance of the optimization system mainly consists in the fact that the implementation of the system allows to reduce the consumption of fuel and the emissions of flue gases per one unit of generated energy. In addition to that, the reliability of the electric system of VKG Energia is also going to increase, and the number of interruptions in the work of the power station will decrease due to a higher functional reliability of the electrical network.
The total value of the project is 238,800 EUR, out of which 89,500 EUR accounts for the Archimedes Foundation subsidy. The subsidy is designated within the measure "Research and Development Programme in the Growth Fields of Smart Specialisation".
The project is being implemented in cooperation with Tallinn University of Technology.
The period of project implementation is from 1 March 2018 until 2 December 2019.